Sunday, May 31, 2009
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Welcome to the Autism Cottage blog!
My rantings are not always short. They are rarely sweet. They are however, from the perspective of a mom who has successfully been using dietary intervention for over seven years. My eldest, on the right, was recently declassified as a special education student by his school district. I attribute that to seven years of hard dietary work by his Dad and me.
From our childhood adults tell us that we are what we eat. Then they feed us Hershey bars and Kool Aid. I'm not quite sure what that says about our society, but I know it is something less than positive. We learn from the earliest possible moments that sugar is the beginning, middle and end of every snack and meal. My own mother, who professed that there were only "two" food groups- nutritious and "no"tritious, took pride in giving us Kool Aid because we weren't drinking Coca Cola like the kids down the street. In hindsight, I really don't know what she thought was wrong with water.
My kids drink a lot of water. It's good for them. It flushes toxins out of a human body. It keeps a human body hydrated and working properly. Especially important for many kids on the Autistic Spectrum, water helps the G.I. tract work, not necessarily smoothly but at least working . It's not all they drink. They have pure organic juices, but far more water than juice.
My children both have severe multiple food allergies. They both adhere to rotational diets that are extremely limited in scope. Both are the better for it. This journey, our family's journey, has not been easy. It has been wrought with peril, it has been continually challenging. It has also been equally blessed with the discovery of who our children really are once they were freed from the poisonous effects of foods they were "secretly" allergic to.
Many people don't know that there is more than one type of allergy. IGE, an immediate immune system response, is what most doctors and people consider an allergic response. Many doctors say that if a reaction doesn't occur in 20 minutes it is not an allergic reaction. Many others will say that if there are no hives and breathing isn't affected then, again, it is not an allergic response. I disagree with these point of views. Our doctor, http://www.drohara.com/ , firmly believes in the impact on health by IGG reactions. So do most chiropractors, naturopaths, dietitians and holistic healers. Our dietitian, Vicki Kobliner M.S., R.D. first ordered my son's IGG testing. http://www.holcarenutrition.com/ IGG reactions can occur up to 72 hours after a food is ingested. Seriously, think about that. Three days after you ate some strawberries you could get a migraine, a stomach ache, joint pain, even numbness. Or it could happen to your child. Your child, who may not have the expressive language to tell you what hurts. That is how things initially began with us.
This is it for my first post. I will try to post at least once a week. I will eventually try to cover all the topics that helped us. Please feel free to stop by my store at www.AutismCottage.com and view different treats that I am selling online. They are all Gluten-free and Casein-free(GF/CF). Some are Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD).